Five Ways Shea Butter Smooths Your Skin
Natural ingredients are often better for your skin, nails, and hair - just as whole foods are better for fueling your body. However, there are many unique ingredients that are often found in skincare products which "everyone knows" are good for your skin - but most people don't understand why. Commonly used botanicals like shea butter, cocoa butter, or jojoba are among these mystery ingredients.
What is Shea Butter?Shea butter is a fat that is extracted from the nuts of the Shea or Karite tree. It contains vitamins A, E, and F and it offers UV protection when used on the skin (it's SPF 6). Shea butter has been used for centuries to moisturize skin and condition hair. Both vitamins A and E have proven skin health benefits. Vitamin A often helps to reduce the appearance of spots and wrinkles and has been used to ease skin conditions like dermatitis and eczema. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that also helps reduce signs of aging.
Five Benefits of Shea Butter
Since shea butter contains vitamins and essential fatty acids which soothe the skin, it's been used for many years as a skin and hair moisturizer. But what else can shea butter do?
- A 2010 study found that shea butter can reduce inflammation. This makes it a source of soothing relief for anyone with temporary or chronic inflammation like dermatitis, acne, or eczema.
- The vitamins in shea butter can reduce the appearance of wrinkles and other signs of aging.
- Shea butter can be used as very mild, temporary sunscreen. It's only SPF 6, but it can protect you from the sun for a bit!
- It may reduce the appearance of stretch marks and scars. While nothing is proven 100% effective against stretch marks and scars, there are stories out there that shea butter worked to help these blemishes fade.
- Shea butter is gentle. You can use shea butter on your most delicate skin - the lips, the face, and underneath the eyes. It's also a great moisturizer for the scalp and hair.
We use shea butter in many of our wonderful products here at Sage Stone Botanicals.
Try out our handmade, organic lotions and feel the deep moisturizing shea butter brings to your skin!